- Mrs. Scelia's Website
- Important Aiken/Room 29 Procedures
- Meet Mrs. Scelia
- Contact Mrs. Scelia
- Sharing Time
- Our Curriculum
- Our Schedule
- Classroom Wish List
- Learning To Read
- Reading Comprehension Units
- Math Units
- Writing Units
- Science Units
- Social Studies Units
- Lunch Menu
- Aiken School
- West Hartford Public Schools
- Mrs. Scelia's Favorite Websites
- Aiken Song
Bedrock List One Resources
”Sight words” are the words that readers should recognize instantly. Recognition is important because sight words are so frequently used—making up about 50 to 75 percent of all words that children see in books. It is also important because many of them do not sound as they are spelled, making them difficult to sound out using knowledge of phonics. Having the sight words within their word bank gives the child a better chance to focus on more difficult and infrequent words without losing the sense of what is being read.
Bedrock One List (a list with the most current 180 first grade sight words)
Bingo Template (put your own words on this printable BINGO Card!
Bedrock Flash Cards (print them out to use as flashcards, or make your own word ring!)
*please note: These are our OLD Bedrock Words. We have recently changed some of the words, but most words are the same. I will update as soon as I can.
***A RESOURCE I LOVE***
Please download the story The Best Thing In The World. It is a PDF doument. This story contains 220 sight words!
Here are a few ways how you can use this story:
1. To boost sight word recognition
2. To pratice fluency (example - teaching your child to stop at punctuation)
3. To practice retelling (how many details can your child remember?)
4. To practice comprehension (ask them questions about the story)
5. Finding little chunks in big words!